Air Force announces the 12 Outstanding Airmen of 2019
By Kat Bailey, Air Force’s Personnel Center Public Affairs
/ Published July 24, 2019
JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas --
Air Force officials have selected the service’s top enlisted members, naming the 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year for 2019.
An Air Force selection board at the Air Force’s Personnel Center considered 36 nominees who represented major commands, direct reporting units, field operating agencies and Headquarters Air Force. The board selected the 12 Airmen based on superior leadership, job performance and personal achievements.
Twelve Outstanding Airmen of the Year (alphabetically, by command of assignment when selected):
- Master Sgt. Jahara A. Brown, Air Force Materiel Command
- Staff Sgt. Caryn N. Frederick, Air Force Reserve Command
- Senior Master Sgt. Sylvetris S. Hlongwane, Pacific Air Forces
- Senior Airman Gary G. Jeffrey III, Air Education and Training Command
- Senior Master Sgt. Andrew J. Kehl, Air Combat Command
- Technical Sgt. Inna A. Lvova, Air Force Space Command
- Senior Master Sgt. Philip B. McAlpin Jr, Air Force Global Strike Command
- Technical Sgt. Andrew C. Merrylees, Air National Guard
- Technical Sgt. Kenneth T. O'Brien, Air Force Special Operations Command
- Senior Airman Misty A. Richmond, U.S. Air Forces in Europe
- Senior Airman Justin A. Starks, Air Force District of Washington
- Staff Sgt. Christopher M. Stuebbe, Air Mobility Command
The winners are authorized to wear the Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon with the bronze service star device on the ribbon. They are also authorized to wear the Outstanding Airman of the Year badge for one year from the date of formal presentation.
The MAJCOM nominee list is available on myPers > Recognition > Special Trophies and Awards or select the active-duty enlisted category from the dropdown menu and search “12 OAY.”
For more information about Air Force personnel programs, please visit the Air Force's Personnel Center.