Notice to IR Airmen: 6-month wait on voluntary assignments enforced for CY17
Headquarters Individual Reservist Readiness and Integration Organization
/ Published April 26, 2017
BUCKLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. --
The six-month requirement for voluntary assignment requests in AFI 36-2115, Assignments within the Reserve Components, will be enforced and wing commander or equivalent waiver authority is suspended, per a memo signed by Lt. Gen. Maryanne Miller, the Air Force Reserve Command commander.
This six-month wait period applies to voluntary and involuntary reassignments to the Individual Ready Reserves, voluntary and involuntary discharges, and retirements approved April 4 through Sept. 30, 2017.
For example, if a member was approved for retirement on April 4, their retirement date would be six months from that date, on Oct. 4.
The memo is part of an effort to maintain end-strength numbers through the end of the fiscal year. The six-month wait period is a long-standing policy and is not a stop-loss procedure.
The procedure does not apply to the following:
- Reassignments, discharges and retirements approved by the approval authority prior to April 4, 2017.
- Transfer to any active-duty component
- Transfer to any AGR or EAD tour
- Transfer within the Unit or IMA program
- Transfer between the Unit and IMA program
- Transfer to the IRR based on elapsed ETS with remaining MSO
- Separation or retirement at ETS, HYTD, MSD or age 60
- Conditional release to transfer to the Air National Guard
- General officers and colonels
- IADT discharge from BMT or technical school
- Disability discharge/retirement
- ART retirement in lieu of involuntary admin discharge for cause or physical disqualification
- Discharge or involuntary assignment for cause or physical disqualification with ETS prior to the six-month established effective loss date. Effective loss date must be adjusted to one day prior to the member’s ETS in order to properly characterize military service.
Questions should be directed to the member’s servicing HQ RIO Detachment or HQ AFRC/A1KK at email@example.com.