Col. Laurie Dickson is the Special Assistant to the Commander, 10th Air Force, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas. 10th Air Force is one of three numbered Air Forces in Air Force Reserve Command and is responsible for command supervision of 17 units and over 19,000 total force Airmen. The mission sets of 10th Air Force operate across multiple domains that include all fighter, bomber, special operations, rescue, airborne warning and control, fighter and bomber flying-training missions, combat air operations battle staff, remotely-piloted aircraft, space and cyber units in Air Force Reserve Command. When mobilized or used in a full-time capacity, these units provide capability across a broad spectrum specifically to Air Combat Command, Air Force Special Operations Command, Pacific Air Forces, Air Force Space Command, Air Force Global Strike Command, Air Education and Training Command and the Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency. The 10th Air Force mission is to provide mission-ready Reserve Citizen Airmen to fly, fight and win in every domain.
Col. Dickson earned her bachelor’s degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara in 1986. She commissioned as a graduate of Officer Training School at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas in 1986. The following year, she entered active duty as an Air Battle Manager. In 1991, she joined the Connecticut Air National Guard and served as Assistant Director of Operations, 103rd Air Control Squadron. She transferred to the Air Force Reserve in 1996, and has served as the First Director of Operations and Mission Crew Commander, 513th Air Control Group, Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. and as an Operations Staff Officer, 10th Air Force, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas. She served as Commander, 710th Combat Operations Squadron, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, which is Air Force Reserve Command’s elite 128-member unit, providing augmentation to U.S. Air Forces Central Command and the 609th Air and Space Operations Center in support of the Joint Forces Commander. She served in-theater as a combat aviator as well as on staff in a combined air operations center. She has deployed in support of operations Desert Storm, Provide Comfort, Allied Force, and Northern Watch.
Prior to her current assignment, Col. Dickson was Commander, 513th Air Control Group. The 513th is the only Air Force Reserve unit that maintains and operates the E-3 Sentry, an Airborne Warning and Control System aircraft. She was responsible for directing and maintaining the wartime readiness of the nearly 400 Reservists under her command.
1986 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, University of California, Santa Barbara
1991 Master of Business Administration, Webster University, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
1994 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB. Ala., by correspondence
1999 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Air Force Continuous Process Initiative, Green Belt Certification, Joint Base San Antonio, Texas
2015 Joint Air and Space Operations Senior Staff Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2016 Air Force Continuous Process Initiative, Black Belt Certification, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Joint Air Component Coordination Element Certification, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
1. January 1987–April 1989, Weapons Director/Standards and Evaluations Officer, 629th Tactical Control Flight, Hessisch-Oldendorf, Germany
2. April 1989–December 1991, Weapons Director/Current Operations Chief, 965th Airborne Warning and Control Squadron, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
3. December 1991–August 1996, Assistant Director of Operations, 103rd Air Control Squadron, Connecticut Air National Guard, Conn.
4. August 1996–June 1999, Director of Operations, AWACS Mission Crew Commander, 513th Air Control Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
5. June 1999–February 2005, Operations Officer – AWACS and Air Operations Center Functional Area Manager, 10th Air Force, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas
6. February 2005–December 2011, Chief of Command Post Branch, 10th Air Force, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
7. December 2011–April 2012, Inspector General Air Reserve Component Liaison, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
8. April 2012–October 2015, Continuous Process Improvement Process Manager, 10th Air Force, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
9. October 2015–January 2018, Deputy Commander, 710th Combat Operations Squadron, Joint Base Langley- Eustis, Va.
10. January 2018–July 2020, Commander, 513th ACG, Tinker AFB, Okla.
11. July 2020–present, Special Assistant to the Commander, 10th Air Force, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
Rating: senior air battle manager
Flight hours: more than 1,600
Aircraft flown: E-3B/C/G
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Award with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 12, 1986
First Lieutenant Dec. 12, 1988
Captain Dec. 12, 1990
Major Dec. 3, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 3, 2002
Colonel Sept. 1, 2015
(Current as of August 2020)