Col. Jason L. Smith is the Director of Operations and Plans, Tenth Air Force, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas. He monitors the execution of programs and policies that ensures the training and combat readiness of all Tenth Air Force assigned fighter, bomber, special operations, rescue, airborne warning and control, fighter and bomber flying-training missions, combat air operations battle staff, remotely-piloted aircraft, space and cyber units. Tenth Air Force’s mission is to provide mission-ready Reserve Citizen Airmen to fly, fight and win in every domain.
Col. Smith received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1995. He is a command pilot with more than 3,600 flying hours in the T-34, T-38, and F-16C/D. He has flown combat missions in operations Allied Force, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi Freedom. In his previous assignment Col. Smith was Deputy Director of Operations and Plans, Headquarters Tenth Air Force, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas.
1995 Bachelor of Science degree in basic science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., via correspondence
2016 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., via correspondence
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,600
Aircraft flown: T-34, T-38, F-16C/D
1. July 1995 – December 1995, Action Officer, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2. December 1995 – July 1996, Naval Aviation Preflight Indoctrination, Pensacola, Fla.
3. July 1996 – January 1997, Joint Pilot Training T-34 student pilot, VT-3, Whiting Field, Fla
4. January 1997 – November 1997, T-38 Student Pilot, 25th Flying Training Squadron, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
5. November 1997 – July 1998, F-16 C/D Basic Course, 308th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. July 1988 – June 2001, Weapons, scheduling, training duties, 23d FS, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
7. June 2001 – September 2003, Joint Terminal Attack Controller/Flight Commander, 25th Air Support Operations Squadron, Wheeler Army Air Field, Hawaii
8. September 2003 – April 2006, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, 421st FS, Hill AFB, Utah
9. April 2006 – April 2008, Total Force Flight Commander, 457th FS, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas
10. April 2008 – October 2009, Current Operations Assistant Flight Commander, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
11. October 2009 – June 2013, 301st OG Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
12. June 2013 – August 2014, 301st FW Chief of Wing Safety, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
13. August 2014 – September 2016, 301st Operational Support Flight Director of Operations, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
14. September 2016 – October 2018, 301st OSF Commander, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
15. October 2018 – September 2019, Deputy Director of Operations and Plans, 10th Air Force, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
16. September 2019 – Present, Director of Operations and Plans, 10th Air Force, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain May 31, 1999
Major Aug. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 1, 2011
Colonel Oct. 1, 2018
(Current as of August 2020)